• Users Online: 468
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 19  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 379-382

Altered hematological profile: The forerunner of fatalities caused by COVID-19


Department of Pathology, DMGMC & H, Purulia, West Bengal, India

Correspondence Address:
Arijit Majumdar
Department of Pathology, DMGMC & H, Purulia, West Bengal
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/MJBL.MJBL_44_22

Rights and Permissions

Background: Being a systemic infection, coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) affects hematologic system, along with cardiovascular, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, and neurological systems, resulting in altered hematological parameters. These altered hematological findings are thought to have a role in early risk stratification and prognostication of COVID-19 patients. However, the data on hematological abnormalities associated with the disease among Eastern Indian COVID-19 patients, particularly the Bengalis, are limited. Aim: The aim is to study the association, if any, between various hematological parameters and disease severity of COVID-19. Materials and Methods: The study was a cross-sectional study involving 145 laboratory-confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Based on the disease severity, the patients were divided into three groups: mild, moderate, and severe. Various hematological parameters were analyzed. Results: Of the 145 patients, 82.8%, 9.6%, and 7.5% of the cases were in the mild, moderate, and severe groups, respectively. The mean age was 48 years. The result of our study showed that the age of the patients is directly proportional to the severity of the illness. About 62.1% of the patients were male, whereas the rest (37.9%) were female. Our study showed an independent association of Covid severity with male gender. Although mean total leukocyte count (TLC), absolute count of neutrophil, lymphocyte, eosinophil, neutrophil–lymphocyte ratio (NLR), neutrophil–monocyte ratio (NMR), lymphocyte–monocyte ratio, platelet–lymphocyte ratio, and systemic inflammatory index among mild, moderate, and severe COVID-19 cases were statistically significant (P < 0.05), basophil, monocyte, and platelet count were statistically insignificant among the three groups. Nearly all of the hematological parameters could be used as potential diagnostic biomarkers for subsequent analysis because their area under the curve was higher than 0.50. Conclusion: Severity of COVID-19 is associated with older age, male sex, higher TLC, neutrophilia, lymphopenia, eosinopenia, high NLR, and high NMR. As complete blood count is an inexpensive routine blood investigation, it can be very useful in a resource-poor healthcare facility, which is unable to provide high-end investigations.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed268    
    Printed16    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded47    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal