• Users Online: 178
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 19  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 50-57

Assessment of parents’ awareness about urinary tract infections in children of Babylon Province


1 Babylon Health Directorate, College of Medicine, Babylon University, Babylon Province, Iraq
2 Department of Surgery/Urology, College of Medicine, University of Babylon, Babylon Province, Iraq

Correspondence Address:
Ola H Al-Zubaidi
College of Medicine, Babylon University, Babylon
Iraq
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/MJBL.MJBL_82_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: Urinary tract infection (UTI) is one of the commonest infectious diseases in children. Early recognition and prompt treatment are vital aspects in its management to prevent complications. The major challenges for parents, clinicians, and health workers are related to the wide variation of disease presentation. So the parents must be fully informed about UTI in children. Objective: To assess parents’ awareness about UTI in their children and determine the main factors that may affect the degree of parents’ awareness. With the enhancement of parents’ awareness via correction of any wrong answers, resolving any question or confusion. Materials and Methods: This is a cross-sectional study conducted from March 2021 until the end of June 2021 and included 300 parents of children aged 2–12 years, presented with symptoms suggestive of UTI visiting teaching hospitals, primary health care centers, and urological and pediatric private clinics in Babylon province. Parents were interviewed for about 10–15 minutes by using a predesigned questionnaire. Results: Mean age was 32.20 ± 8.81 years. Females comprised the majority of study participants (77.67%), whereas males comprised the remaining (22.33%). All of the fathers were married, as were 95.71% of mothers. Most fathers had university or higher education (55.22%), whereas most mothers had below-university education (57.08%). Most of the parents had medium income (85% of fathers and 83% of mothers). About two-third of them reside in urban areas (68% of fathers and 64% of mothers). Two children account for higher rank of children number (28%). Fever was the most frequent presenting symptom (65%). Overall parents’ awareness score was medium in 50% of participants and high in 49%. Similarly, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment scores were nearly equal between high (46.67%, 44.33%, and 44.67% respectively) and medium (45.67%, 45.67%, and 45.67% respectively), while prevention score was high in 52%, complication score was medium in 59%. Symptoms and diagnosis scores were significantly higher in residents of rural areas. Treatment and prevention scores were significantly higher in those with higher education. Complication score was significantly higher in those with higher children number, male, illiterate, and rural residents. Conclusions: Parents in Babylon province have an acceptable level of awareness about UTI in their children, with highly educated parents having more degree of awareness about UTI treatment and prevention than those with a lower level of education. Parents from rural areas have more information about UTI symptoms, diagnosis, and complications than those from urban areas, with important role of experience on the parents' awareness about UTI complications.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed190    
    Printed8    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded15    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal